Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Storing Tomatoes Through The Winter....

We are getting tomatoes everyday now...and we will not be able to eat them all. We usually can a few jars of salsa and I like to make spaghetti sauce.....but did you know that you can freeze and dry tomatoes?



Yes you can...... the easiest way to freeze tomatoes is by putting them whole in freezer bags. I usually put tomatoes into two freezer bags to prevent freezer burn. Just take them out of the freezer and warm them in some warm water you can use these in Chili on a cold winter day. ( the skins will slip right off if you put them in hot water) You can also puree them and put into freezer bags this is great in pasta sauce. ( always use blemish free tomatoes)



If you have a food dehydrator you can dry tomatoes....you can fully dry them and then store them in jars. To dry tomatoes you cut them in half lay them on the drying rack...sprinkle salt on the up turned half. The drying time can take up to a day or longer....remove them when they feel firm and dry.



I love having the fresh taste of a tomatoes in the cold winter months. I know that they don't taste exactly the same but the flavor is still there!



Happy Gardening....



Lynn

2 comments:

Patty S. said...

Hi, Lynn...tomatoes must be my absolute favourite veggie/fruit. I dried, oh, probably over 200 lbs last year (thanks to a neighbour with a very healthy greenhouse) in my Excalibur food dehydrator, and it couldn't be simpler. I cut the tomatoes in half, took out the green cores, sliced each half into 4ths, laid them out in the dehydrator, and about 2 days later, voila! They were nice 'n' crackly, so I put them in a zip lock back and froze them, just to be on the safe side (and because I have a lot of freezer space). I also roasted a lot of them - wash, quarter, and put on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, oven at about 250F, sprinkle with salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar & oilive oil, and prepare to be transported by the smell in your house. These were done after about a day - not crackly like the bareback-dried variety, but I put these in a Mason jar, covered with olive oil, and have been enjoying roasted tomatoes all year - even just on crackers! I have frozen them in the past, used afterwards in sauces, etc., where flavour is prime, not appearance - and I didn't bother taking the skins off, either. They are a bit bulky though, and now I love my dehydrator. Nice post! Patty

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

Hi Lynn...I wanted to stop by and thank you for the sweet comment you left on my blog. You made my day...

I enjoy your blog immensely...and I learn something every day! Thank you...this new gardener needs all of the help and new ideas she can get!

Have a great day...

Michelle