Tuesday, June 2, 2009

What to do about Aphids

Yesterday I spent most of my morning picking Colorado Potato Beetles from my two beds of potatoes and.... yes it was a yucky mess! I just hate to pick those pests off but it was needed. I picked two bowls full. While I was out in the garden I checked everything and I found many aphids on my tomato plants. I thought I would tell you how I get rid of aphids the organic way.

Aphids: These are very tiny insects they get on your plant and suck the juices out of the leaves and stems..this just weakens the plant.

There are many predators for aphids...my favorite the lady beetle larvae, lacewings, small wasps and syrphid fly larvae.

I never spray chemicals for aphids it is not good for the plant or for you. I use my hose and spray a strong spray of water on all my plants. I have also mixed some soapy (dish soap) water together and sprayed if I felt they were getting out of hand.

If you are having a Really Bad problem I suggest getting some floating row covers to protect your plants. You can usually get these at a garden supply store. I think you can get them over the Internet.

I have heard of people ordering lady beetles and placing them in their garden... I think this is a great idea. I have never had aphids that bad to do this.

Happy Gardening..

Lynn

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How about Foliar feed from the Happy Gardener? Their foliar feed is 100% natural and made with 100% certified organic ingredients. The Outdoor Foliar Feed Plus controls aphids, weevils, Japanese beetles, spider mites and masked chafers!
Visit their website for more info
www.thehappygardener.info or contact me at kellycrispo@gmail.com. I'm new to the gardening scene, and they help make gardening organically much more convenient and simple!

Rabbit Hill Farm said...

I ordered 4500 ladybugs at about $6 and they did the trick well I had a SEVERE infestation.

Knitters Notebook said...

Kelly,

I guess I am a frugal gardener? I really like using what I already have in my kitchen. I have had many people suggest products from Gardens Alive too? I guess a good hose or a little bit of dish soap in a spray bottle just keeps me and my wallet happy.

Thanks for commenting,

Lynn

Unknown said...

Lynne -

Frugal's great, I just don't have the know-how, so when it's in a bottle that I can just spray and know that it's chemical free, I'm all for it! :) Thanks for the dish soap tip...